DOWNLOAD POSTOPERATIVE INSTRUCTIONS
DESCARGAR INSTRUCCIONES POSTOPERATORIAS
A copy of all instructions will be mailed or handed to you by our surgery team.
- If you are taking medications over the counter, without a prescription, please discontinue 7 days prior to surgery.
- If you have been prescribed any of the following drugs (this is not a complete list), then call your prescribing provider for instructions on when to discontinue and restart medications.
- Anti-platelet medications - Examples: Aspirin, Plavix, Aggrenox.
- Anticoagulant medications - Examples: Lovenox, Heparin, Warfarin (Coumadin), Xarelto.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications - Examples: Ibuprofen, Advil, Aleve, Meloxicam, Toradol, Celebrex, Voltaran, Indocin, salicylate.
- Vitamins/Herbs - Examples: Omega 3 fatty acids, ginsing, St. John’s wort, tumeric, garlic, ginger, ginkgo biloba, grape seed extract.
- Two days prior to surgery begin cleansing the outside of the ear you are having surgery on with Hibiclens. Cleanse 1 inch behind and in front of the ear. Avoid getting in ear canal. Hibiclens can be purchase at your local pharmacy. Instructions are found on packaging.
- The hospital where your surgery will be performed at will be contacting you for any pre-surgical details, testing, or blood work needed.
POST- OP INSTRUCTIONS
FOR EAR SURGERIES
- If you have a dressing over your ear - remove dressing & cotton ball after 24 hours. Leave sponge in ear canal if there is one. Try to avoid sleeping on that ear for the first few nights.
- If you have a sponge in your ear canal or were given ear drops - after removing dressing, begin using ear drops sent to your pharmacy or given to you. Place 3-4 drops on top of sponge twice daily until you are seen at next appointment. Sponge and packing in ear canal will be removed at first and second post op appointments.
- If you have stitches behind or around the ear - after removing dressing, clean incision site once daily with hydrogen peroxide 3% and apply antibiotic ointment sent to your pharmacy or provided at the hospital until 3 days after your first post op appointment. Stitches will be removed at first post op appointment. Do not wash the area around the incision site with soap and water until 5 days after surgery.
- If you have been given prescription pain medication the day of surgery- fill at your pharmacy and take as needed every 4-6 hours for severe pain. If pain is mild, use Tylenol. Do not mix Tylenol with Norco if prescribed. Do not use Advil, Ibuprofen, Aleve or Aspirin for 5 days after surgery.
- If necessary, oral antibiotics were sent to your pharmacy before surgery. Begin these after surgery.
- First Post Op apt is scheduled 10 days after, 2nd Post Op is 21 days after. Until cleared, avoid blowing noise, lifting over 15 lbs, straining, drinking with a straw, bending over, flying in a plane or vigorous exercise. If sneezing, sneeze with mouth open. Physical restrictions are generally in place for 3-4 weeks.
- Keep water out of ear until cleared by provider. Use ear plugs or cotton ball rolled in Vaseline placed in the opening of your ear canal while showering.
- If you have any questions after surgery or experience severe pain, swelling at site, infection or severe dizziness, contact our office at the number provided. Bloody drainage is expected.
FOR TUBES ADENOIDS/TONSILS
Keep water out of ear until cleared by provider. Use ear plugs or cotton ball rolled in vaseline placed in the opening of your ear canal while showering.
- If you were given ear drops - begin using ear drops sent to your pharmacy or given to you. Place 3-4 drops on top of sponge twice daily until you are seen at next appointment.
- With removal of adenoids, throat may be sore for a few days. Use salt water rinses and Tylenol if needed for discomfort. Soft foods for a few days will also help.
- With removal of tonsils, it is very important to eat only liquids and very soft foods for the first 5-7 days. Use salt water rinses and Narcotic/Tylenol/Ibuprofen if needed for pain. Call the office if any fresh bleeding is noted.
- First Post Op apt is scheduled 10 days after for tonsillectomy and 30 days after for tubes/adenoids.